Many a time, despite our good intent we feel helpless, we feel weak…we know we are right but don’t have the facts, be it scientific or judicial to back up our statements to convince the person we are trying to communicate our point to. At this point, we often wish and pray that someone gives us the information we so desperately need. This page is an attempt in that direction, so that when we speak about an issue and supplement it with fact/s, people know what we are trying to talk about and they take us and our words seriously.
The links on this page are a compilation of information that will arm you to safeguard the rights of the animals you care for. Please click on the underlined Text/Links below to view and download the files, as required for by you.
INFORM. SHARE. INSPIRE
Indian Street Dogs and their ‘rights’: presents a detailed summary with a summary of all you need to know to safeguard the rights of the street dogs you care for.
- The Indian Street Dog and related awareness material on the best way to behave around them
- A Dossier of Indian Street Dog related laws and court rulings
- The laws governing Street Dog Sterilization and the way street dogs need to be treated in India
- The Stray feeding guidelines by the Department of Personnel & Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, New Delhi letter no.F.No.30/9/2006-WELFARE dated 26.5.2006
- A Direct Order dated 3rd March 2008 was issued by Animal Welfare Board of India, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Government of India (D.O. AWBI/PCA/3.3.2008)
- Delhi High Court Ruling on feeding Street Dogs
- A copy of the Delhi’s Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate’s order dated 2nd May 2007 related to feeding and looking after Street Dogs (CC No. 47/1/2007- case of Mita Das Gupta vs.Malini Sehgal etc.)
- AWBI Guidelines on Street Dog feeding presented to and approved by the Delhi High Court in February 2010
- 26th February 2015 dated Circular issued by the Animal Welfare Board of India to all Resident Welfare Associations and Societies on the lawful manner of dealing with street as well as pet dogs
- Noida Federation instructions to Resident Welfare Associations regarding lawful manner of dealing with street dogs
- Gurgaon Municipal Corporation’s Directive to Presidents of Residential Welfare Societies to stop harassing people who have pets and tend to street dogs
Main laws and orders governing welfare of animals in India:
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960 (Also referred to as the PCA Act, 1960): Related video link and resources can also be accessed on this link including a dossier on animal protection laws for the guidance of police, HAWOs(Honorary Animal Welfare Officers), NGOs AND AWOs(Animal Welfare Organisations). This compendium in Question and Answer Format that will guide you on how to take action against various forms of animal cruelty and work with the law enforcement agencies
- Rules under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960
- Wildlife Protection Act 1972
- Environment Protection Act 1986
Some relevant recent orders:
- Slaughtering and sale of Dog, Cat, Camel Meat is Illegal under the Food Safety and Standards Act
- Supreme Court of India stands up for Animal Rights, bans cruel bull-taming sport ‘Jallikattu’
Reporting and taking action on incidents involving Cruelty to Animals, which do have serious repercussions on the health of our society, if not reported on time:
- What to do when you see an animal being treated cruelly?
- To all those of you who are being harassed by their neighbourhood for tending to animals….
- Wildlife Crime Investigations and the Legal system
- Animal Abuse-from F.I.R to Jail
- For reporting animal cruelty cases: How to approach the police for help?
- Reporting a Crime: All about lodging an F.I.R with the Police
- Video: How to lodge an F.I.R with the Police when you see animal cruelty?
- Video: How to lodge a P.I.L (Public Interest Litigation) to benefit Animals?
Pets and Resident Welfare Associations (News Clippings, Consumer Court Orders and more):
- Pets and Resident Welfare Associations (RWA): How does the law treat your pet?
- The law on pet owners in apartments
- How to act when your society RWA puts a bar on letting your pet dog use the building lift?
- Dogs are family, can use lifts for free, rules court
- Can’t remove Pets or harass those who feed street animals, Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon tells RWAs
- Residential Societies can’t ban people from having Pet Animals
Some First Aid tips to help your neighbourhood street dogs
- First Aid tips for taking care of the dog on your street
- The Dog Care Field Manual by Harrell Graham
- Useful Link for Homeopathic Treatment of Animals
- Medicine list to cure a dog who has had a paralytic attack*
- Treating Dogs with Maggot infestations
- Elbow rashes in street dogs- the ‘magic’ cure!
- Ear infections in Street Dogs-our experience at treating them
- Limping Dogs: A treatment we used that worked!
- Non-surgical treatment of Haematoma of the Ear in Old Dogs
- Home remedy to cure dry, flaking skin and lice infestation in dogs
- Treating a dog for a wasp/bee sting
- Is your neighbourhood street dog coughing off late? Sharing a treatment that may work
- Do-it-Yourself: How do we pick up street dogs and take them to the nearest vet in our car
Please let us know what more subjects you yearn for more information on and we will dig through our brains to write on them. Thanks.
Your suggestions and ideas are always welcome, please write to us at email@example.com
Keep checking this page for regular updates. Thanks